Last modified: Wed Sep 18 12:27:33 1996
and Publishing in the Electronic Academy, a conference
sponsored by the University of
Library, 17-19 September 1996.
Attitude toward Cyberspace
What question should we ask in order to promote
- Not, "Is there a cyberspace?"
- Not, "Do we like cyberspace?"
- Rather, "How shall we make the best of
Lasting Structure vs. Ephemeral Appearance
What qualities of communication methods need our closest attention?
- Not the beauty of the appearance.
- Not the similarity to older methods.
- Rather, the operations that are feasible on
- The most important operations on messages will be
invented after the messages are received.
- Give maximum power to the reader.
Scholarly Publishing in Cyberspace
Teaching in Cyberspace
What can cyberspace contribute to the structure of learning?
- Not just a more compact way of storing textbooks.
- More communication among students
- More flexible interaction in our
- More collaboration among instructors.
- Examples from U. Chicago: