I am promoting the organization of research on sound as a
topic within computer science. Sound is already studied within a
number of other disciplines as physical acoustics, signal processing,
phonology, music, audiology. I believe that computer science can
contribute an important new point of view, where sound is understood
as a general-purpose communication channel. The new topic should stand
roughly parallel to graphics as a topic within computer
``The Sound Manifesto'' develops my ideas on the sound topic further.
Archive of Technical Papers
I moderate a new online archive of technical papers on sound
established in 2000. The archive is part of the
Computing Research Repository (CoRR) supported by the
Los Alamos e-Print Archive.
Contents of the Archive
- ``Fractionally-addressed delay lines'' by Davide Rochesso, 17 May 2000.
- ``Online Correction of Dispersion Error in 2D Waveguide Meshes'' by Federico Fontana, Davide Rocchesso, 21 June 2000.
- ``Orthogonal Least Squares Algorithm for the Approximation of a Map and its Derivatives with a RBF Network'' by Carlo Drioli, Davide Rocchesso, 28 June 2000.
- ``DISCO: An object-oriented system for music composition and sound design'' by Hans G. Kaper, Sever Tipei, Jeff M. Wright, 5 July 2000.
- ``Data sonification and sound visualization'' by Hans G. Kaper, Sever Tipei, Elizabeth Wiebel, 5 July 2000.
- ``The Sound Manifesto'' by Michael J. O'Donnell, Ilia Bisnovatyi, 9 July 2000.
- ``Generalization of a 3-D resonator model for the simulation of spherical enclosures'' by Davide Rocchesso, Pierre Dutilleux, 10 October 2000 (revised 8
- ``Signal-Theoretic Characterization of Waveguide Mesh Geometries for Models of Two--Dimensional Wave Propagation in Elastic Media'' by Federico Fontana, Davide Rocchesso, 4 January 2001.
- ``Source-Filter Decomposition of Harmonic Sounds'' by Ilia Bisnovatyi, Michael J. O'Donnell, 6 March 2001.
- ``Flexible Software Framework for Modal Synthesis'' by Ilia Bisnovatyi, 6 March 2001.
- ``Towards Experimental Nanosound Using Almost Disjoint Set Theory'' by Cameron L. Jones, 13 March 2002.
- ``TableTrans, MultiTrans, InterTrans and TreeTrans: Diverse Tools Built on the Annotation Graph Toolkit'' by Steven Bird, Kazuaki Maeda, Xiaoyi Ma, Haejoong Lee, Beth Randall,
Salim Zayat, 3 April 2002.
- ``Models and Tools for Collaborative Annotation'' by Xiaoyi Ma, Haejoong Lee, Steven Bird, Kazuaki Maeda, 3 April 2002.
- ``Creating Annotation Tools with the Annotation Graph Toolkit'' by Kazuaki Maeda, Steven Bird, Xiaoyi Ma, Haejoong Lee, 3 April 2002.
- ``Sotto Voce: Exploring the Interplay of Conversation and Mobile Audio Spaces'' by Paul M. Aoki, Rebecca E. Grinter, Amy Hurst, Margaret H. Szymanski, James D. Thornton, Allison Woodruff, 21 May 2002.
I created this index because I didn't see how to produce a list of all
Sound papers through CoRR. Then I learned that I could use the
CoRR search service
list of all papers in the Sound topic.
- select "All years" in the time-range choices at the top,
- select "Subject-class" instead of the default "Author(s)" with the
first menu button on the left,
- specify "Sound" as the particular Subject-class,
- hit the "Do Search" button,
Last modified: Mon Dec 5 19:14:58 CST 2005