MPCS 50103: Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
general information |
The course grade will be determined using the following weights:
Homework 5 is posted: due Tuesday August 3 at 11:59 pm CDT (Chicago time)
Textbook: Discrete Mathematics and its Applications. 7e. (McGraw-Hill)
by Kenneth H. Rosen
(ISBN 978-0073383095) = Rosen
- (10%) Homework assignments (each homework assignment = 1.25% of your
- (20%) Quizzes: July 14, July 21, August 11, August 18 (each quiz = 5% of
your course grade)
- (25%) Midterm examination: online closed-book closed-internet exam
Wednesday July 28
(40%) Final examination: online closed-book closed-internet exam
Wednesday August 25
- (5%) Class participation
You are allowed and encouraged to discuss course
material and homework assignments with each other, but you must work out and
write up each assigned homework problem solution by yourself without
assistance. Exchanging solutions to homework problems or sharing solutions
is strictly prohibited.
Internet and written source use:
Looking for solutions to problems on the
internet, even when acknowledged, is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.
Any sources used
on homework, including textbooks other than the Rosen textbook,
lecture notes from other courses, material found on the internet, and
ideas from other people
explicitly acknowledged and should never be copied or paraphrased.
will be flagged and brought to the attention of the instructor.
It is a violation of course policy to submit a homework solution that
you cannot explain orally to the instructor/TAs.
Schedule of class meetings
- Week 1: June 23
- Logic and methods of proof:
Week 1, Parts 1 & 2
- Mathematical induction and strong induction:
Week 1, Part 3
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 1, sections 1.1–1.5,
1.7–1.8; chapter 5, sections 5.1–5.2.
- Week 2: June 30
- Number theory: divisibility; modular arithmetic; prime numbers and primality testing; RSA
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 4, sections 4.1,
- Week 3: July 7
- Counting: basic counting; generalized permutations and combinations;
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 6, sections 6.1–6.5.
- Week 4: July 14
- Quiz 1: Zoom
- Discrete probability: basic probability theory; conditional probability,
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 7, sections 7.1–7.3.
- Week 5: July 21
- Quiz 2: Zoom
- Discrete probability: Random variables, expected value,
variance, Chebyshev's inequality
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 7, section 7.4.
- Week 6: July 28
- Midterm: online closed-book closed-note closed-internet examination
- 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm CDT: Zoom
- Week 7: August 4
- Graph theory: Basic graph theory; graph isomorphism; connectedness
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 10, sections 10.1–10.4.
- Week 8: August 11
- Quiz 3: Zoom
- Graph Theory: Euler and Hamilton paths and
circuits; trees and spanning trees; graph coloring
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 10, sections 10.5, 10.8; chapter
11, sections 11.1, 11.4.
- Week 9: August 18
- Quiz 4: Zoom
- Recurrences: modeling problems with recurrences: Tower of Hanoi
- divide and conquer recurrences: merge sort
- Asymptotic notation
- Reading assignment: Rosen 7e, chapter 8, sections 8.1–8.3;
chapter 3, section 3.2.
- Week 10: August 25
- Final Exam: online closed-book closed-note closed-internet examination
- 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm CDT: Zoom
brady at cs dot uchicago dot edu