Office: 5730 S. Ellis Ave East 58th Street Office 283, Chicago, IL, 60637
Jan 2nd 2021: This page will no longer get frequently updated as I have graduated.
I am currently a 5th-year Ph.D. candidate (expected to graduate in fall 2020) of the
UCARE group in the Department of Computer Science at the
University of Chicago. My advisor is Prof. Haryadi S. Gunawi.
I got my bachelor degree in Software Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
My research aims at building fast and robust next-generation data and storage systems.
Specifically, I architect these systems generically to achieve rapid responses of low latency even in the most
As systems grow in complexity, my approach is to tackle this significant problem from different angles:
1. Data approach: I advocate that the surging amount of
logs collected at the production frontline is a perfect indicator for future challenges, cruxes,
and potential solutions.
2. Hardware-level approach: I advocate that exposures of
internal information and control features (white-box/gray-box) can enable powerful proactive solutions
that bring significant performance advantages.
3. OS-level approach: I advocate that transparency through layers/components
can considerably improve the efficiency and flexibility of the modern composite system stack.
4. ML-for-system approach: I advocate that increasingly powerful heuristics
are yet not enough to catch up with the exploding growth of the design space, which calls for help from machine
Honors, Awards and Recognitions
- Siebel Scholar Class 2020
- William Rainey Harper Dissertation Fellowship
- Elastos Fellowship
- Facebook Fellowship Finalist
- FAST '17, FAST '18 Best Paper Nominee
(More in CV...)